MOTOR SYSTEM DISEASE

Chronic motor neurone disease, Progressive Muscular Atrophy, MND)

MOTOR SYSTEM DISEASE are with progressive chronic idiopathic degeneration of the motor neurons in the cerebral cotex, brain stem and spinal cord resulting in gradual atrophy, weakness and paralysis of muscles with fasciculation. Sensory and cerebellar dysfunctions are however absent. Sphincters are not affected. About 5% of cases are familial with autosomal dominant inheritance. The remaining 95 % of cases are having various unproved possible causes.

CLINICAL FEATURES

Onset is insidious.

Age: 40-60 years. Rare under 20 years.

Sex: Males are commonly affected.

Clinically the following types of presentation are seen.

1. Progressive muscular atrophy or True atrophic type of PMA.

2. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.

3. Chronic bulbar palsy.

4. Pseudobulbar palsy.

5. Primary lateral sclerosis.

6. Progressive spinal muscular atrophy in children (Werdnig-Hoffmann paralysis).

7. Neural form of peroneal muscular atrophy (Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease).

8. Kugelberberg-Weilander syndrome.

First, third and fourth may appear alone for many months but first and second often appear together.

Recent Posts

  • Beauty and Health
  • Diseases
  • Fitness
  • Health
  • Nutrition
  • Others
  • Yoga

FEMALE FITNESS

https://butanoblog.com/ The most important member of a family is the housewife. He lives as a pillar of a family. Women…

1 month ago
  • Respiratory Diseases

OTHER TYPES SPECIFIC PNEUMONIAS

Staphylococcal Pneumonia It may be a primary respiratory infection or secondary to staphylococcal focus anywhere in the body. It is…

4 months ago
  • Respiratory Diseases

ACUTE LOBAR PNEUMONIA

It is the commonest of all specific pneumonias. AETIOLOGY Predisposing causes Age: All ages but 50% of cases are below…

4 months ago
  • Respiratory Diseases

CHRONIC BRONCHIAL ASTHMA

DEFINITION OF CHRONIC BRONCHIAL ASTHMA BRONCHIAL ASTHMA is a chronic reversible inflammatory destructive disease of the airways characterised by recurrent…

4 months ago
  • Respiratory Diseases

BRONCHIECTASIS SINGS

DEFINITION BRONCHIECTASIS SINGS is a condition of permanent abnormal dilatation of the larger bronchi. AETIOLOGY AND PATHOGENESIS Acquire Obstruction Obstruction…

4 months ago
  • Respiratory Diseases

CHRONIC BRONCHITIS PATIENT

DEFINITION OF CHRONIC BRONCHITIS PATIENT Chronic bronchitis may be defined as a disease characterised by cough and sputum for at…

4 months ago